Home > Newsletter, Blog, and Other Topics > Topic

Q&A => How does one learn JavaScript and/or jQuery?

Posted by Floydian 
This forum is now read only. You can not log in or make any changes. Please use the new forum linked above.
As of March 14, 2011, this forum has been replaced and is permanently set to read-only mode. This means you can view any existing post but cannot open new posts or reply to existing ones. The new forum is located athttp://www.larryullman.com/forums/If you need to post a message, you'll need to register there. If you have to post in order to follow up on a thread started here, well, that's going to be a bit of a pain. I would recommend just posting the appropriate information, or copying the original text from here, or linking to your thread here. I apologize for the inconvenience but this purge will make for better forums in the long run. Thanks.
Q&A => How does one learn JavaScript and/or jQuery?
April 23, 2009 06:55PM
There is no question JavaScript is tough to learn, not because of the language, but because of the lack of good learning resources and the abundance of sloppy and outright wrong JavaScript programming examples.

There are some resources that have really helped me:

[www.hunlock.com]
This site has a lot of helpful advice and examples on how to use many JavaScript functions. I've learned a ton from that site! It's generally far more informative than w3 schools, far more informative... (of course w3 schools is a sweet site, but...)

[www.quirksmode.org]
There's an image with green and red blocks there. That links to the page that has the BROWSER COMPATIBILITY CHARTS. I'm not big on using caps, but I can't emphasize the importance of this site enough. Sure, this has nothing to do with JavaScript per say, but since most folks will be programing in JavaScript in the context of the browser, it really helps to know the differences between the browsers.

Douglas Crockford
Yeah, it's not a web site, it's not a book. Douglas Crockford is the chief JavaScript architect at Yahoo and inventory of JSON. The man's a genius. Watch his videos (for free) at the Yahoo Theator here -> [developer.yahoo.com]

Any video with the name Douglas Crockford on it, will be very informative, I assure you. Specifically, Douglas Crockford — The JavaScript Programming Language AND Douglas Crockford — Advanced JavaScript explain some of the parts of JavaScript I've never seen mentioned anywhere else on the net. Period.
Re: Q&A => How does one learn JavaScript and/or jQuery?
April 24, 2009 06:18PM
Hey Floydian,

Thanks for the links. I think part of the problem with learning JavaScript is because most people and sites cobble stuff together and few people learn it from A to Z as they would other languages. Plus, to be fair, JavaScript's kind of been cobbled together over the years and the browser inconsistencies can be a huge pain.

The Yahoo! Theater stuff is good, albeit sometimes long and quite technical. But great to hear from some of the main people involved. John Resig, the guy behind jQuery, is quite a brilliant resource too.

Best Wishes,
Larry

Writer/Web Developer/Instructor
Forum Moderator
Re: Q&A => How does one learn JavaScript and/or jQuery?
April 29, 2009 10:53PM
If someone could encyclopedialize John Resig's brain, it'd be a fantastic resource :P
Yeah, I'd recommend watching his videos, reading his books, and dissecting his code as well, for sure.