Home > Newsletter, Blog, and Other Topics > Topic

MySQL and Oracle

Posted by gstrawn 
This forum is now read only. You can not log in or make any changes. Please use the new forum linked above.
As of March 14, 2011, this forum has been replaced and is permanently set to read-only mode. This means you can view any existing post but cannot open new posts or reply to existing ones. The new forum is located athttp://www.larryullman.com/forums/If you need to post a message, you'll need to register there. If you have to post in order to follow up on a thread started here, well, that's going to be a bit of a pain. I would recommend just posting the appropriate information, or copying the original text from here, or linking to your thread here. I apologize for the inconvenience but this purge will make for better forums in the long run. Thanks.
MySQL and Oracle
December 13, 2009 06:53AM
You've mentioned the MySQL and Oracle merger before but I'd like to hear a little more on your thoughts. Here is an interesting article about the subject:
[monty-says.blogspot.com]

I don't completely believe all the dire predictions made in the article but I don't disbelieve them either. It would really suck if I had to redo all my old MySQL code. On the other hand, MySQL is so prevalent I doubt it will go away overnight. After all, I still have and use code that was originally written for Windows 95 and it works just fine some 15 years later.

I'm not sure anything can be done to stop Oracle anyways so it's probably all academic. Still, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Aloha,
Farmer Gary
[www.KonaEarth.com]
Re: MySQL and Oracle
December 14, 2009 08:57PM
Hey Gary,

Thanks for the post. I actually read Monty's post already and it is an interesting situation. I'm not a big conspiracy guy or doomsday person, so my inclination is never to overly panic in situations like this. And it's tough from Monty's perspective, because as a creator of MySQL, he's both more personally involved with it and more in the know than others.

I do agree that I'm not sure there's anything to be done to stopping this, although my understanding is that the EU commissions are pretty strict on stuff like this. I don't care for big, monolithic companies owning so much but it's hard to say if it'd affect us. And, on the other hand, we've been pretty spoiled getting MySQL for free for so long (because how many of us have actually given any money to MySQL AB?). So I'm definitely of the "wait and see" mindset.

I would think that, worst case scenario, MySQL is eclipsed by a better, free product because of Oracle's indifference to it. Something like PostgreSQL or whatever the people current involved with MySQL start creating. There are already several offshoots of it.

Best Wishes,
Larry

Writer/Web Developer/Instructor
Forum Moderator
December 15, 2009 12:06PM
Hello Gary,

I don't see why you would ever have to redo your mysql code. Mysql 5.0 and 5.1 are both released under the GPL license and will always be free. People have license to distribute MySQL 5.0 and 5.1 and that cannot ever be revoked.

Thus, the problem is that *new* versions of MySQL could have a different license. So long as you continue to use 5.0 or 5.1, you will always be able to use it for free.

Hope that helps.
December 15, 2009 05:24PM
Anybody on a dedicated server won't have a problem but folks on a shared server may suddenly find themselves upgraded to a future version of MySQL. Rather than Oracle changing MySQL in bad ways, I think a more likely problem is that we'll soon be inundated with a dozen different free versions, all using their own "standard".

I'm not too concerned though. Chances are that I'll have to rewrite my code for other reasons before then anyways. I've always felt that code rewrites can often be a good thing anyways. Take all my code, throw it away, and I'll rewrite it in half the time and twice as good.

Aloha,
Farmer Gary
[www.KonaEarth.com]