Home > Newsletter, Blog, and Other Topics > Topic

Pro PHP, Obejcts and Patterns

Posted by Jason 
This forum is now read only. You can not log in or make any changes. Please use the new forum linked above.
As of March 14, 2011, this forum has been replaced and is permanently set to read-only mode. This means you can view any existing post but cannot open new posts or reply to existing ones. The new forum is located athttp://www.larryullman.com/forums/If you need to post a message, you'll need to register there. If you have to post in order to follow up on a thread started here, well, that's going to be a bit of a pain. I would recommend just posting the appropriate information, or copying the original text from here, or linking to your thread here. I apologize for the inconvenience but this purge will make for better forums in the long run. Thanks.
Pro PHP, Obejcts and Patterns
February 13, 2010 11:16AM
Are we ever going to get to see a book from yourself Larry about Objects and Design Patterns? I know your PHP5 Advanced book covers OOP in 3 chapters but the QuickPro format has it's restrictions. I've read some good books on the subject and over the years the theory has become easier to grasp but I'm no expert! I've also read on your blog you're not overly into design patterns but things change... especially since I read your MVC blog posts. Probably not the best time to ask while you're writing a Flex book ;) (and have a PHP e-commerce book on the horizon for later in the year). Just wondering if it's something you may have thought about or want to cover? Maybe MVC could be a good topic to covered in Effortless Flex 4 Development?
Re: Pro PHP, Obejcts and Patterns
February 16, 2010 01:14AM
Hey Jason,

Thanks for the interest. Right now, working on one book, the e-commerce book slated for later this year, and hopefully my self-published JavaScript book in there somewhere, the idea of ever doing another book is daunting! Plus I often feel like I've run out of things to say. But then time passes, I learn new things, think of new things to discuss, and all of a sudden there's another book being written.

I haven't thought about OOP and Design Patterns, although I have a couple of OOP/Design books on my shelf (not that I've them but...). Maybe some day I could start some blog posts about this and see how I feel about the subject (from a writing perspective). My main concern is that both are largely theory books and I generally prefer to write books that are mostly actionable. Anyway, thanks for the interest and for the suggestion!

Best Wishes,
Larry

Writer/Web Developer/Instructor
Forum Moderator