Home > Newsletter, Blog, and Other Topics > Topic

HTML reference manual

Posted by Stuart 
This forum is now read only. You can not log in or make any changes. Please use the new forum linked above.
As of March 14, 2011, this forum has been replaced and is permanently set to read-only mode. This means you can view any existing post but cannot open new posts or reply to existing ones. The new forum is located athttp://www.larryullman.com/forums/If you need to post a message, you'll need to register there. If you have to post in order to follow up on a thread started here, well, that's going to be a bit of a pain. I would recommend just posting the appropriate information, or copying the original text from here, or linking to your thread here. I apologize for the inconvenience but this purge will make for better forums in the long run. Thanks.
HTML reference manual
February 17, 2010 07:38PM
I am currently working my way through the PHP6 and MySQL 5 workbook and am trying to find some reference book for HTML.

I.E. something that will give me the html syntax to (for example) create a drop-down list etc.

Has anyone any suggestions?

Stuart

I am using Windows XP home SP3, Apache 2.2.9, MySQL 5.0.67,PHP 5.2.6 & Mozilla Firefox
Re: HTML reference manual
February 17, 2010 08:49PM
If you're using Firefox, there's an extension that will provide things like the HTML code for a dropdown right in the browser. I forget what the name is offhand. Otherwise I tend to use w3schools whenever I have a syntax question for HTML or CSS.

Best Wishes,
Larry

Writer/Web Developer/Instructor
Forum Moderator
February 19, 2010 03:14AM
Larry
If you're using Firefox, there's an extension that will provide things like the HTML code for a dropdown right in the browser.

Firebug (with CodeBurner), maybe?

Josee
Local server: MAMP version 1.8.4
PHP Version 5.2.11
MySQL version: 5.1.37 Source distribution
phpMyAdmin - 2.11.9.5 & phpMyAdmin 3.2.0.1
Apache 2.0.63
Workstation OS: Apple 10.6.2 on Intel Mac
February 21, 2010 05:44PM
Thanks Larry and Josee for your help - I will try out Fire Bug with Code Burner and see how I like it..(!)

As an afterthought, I first came to computing in the 80's - and used micros like the Sinclair ZX Spectrum, BBC B and the Apple (um, er, can't remember which model...) - the most useful books for these were the reference books that were so slim and small that they could literally fit in your inside jacket pocket..

The tutorial, of the kind that Larry writes is also invaluable, but all I want to do is create a page of HTML with a the most commonly seen and used objects on it. Then I'll have a go at linking up some PHP code to it and some embedded SQL.

HTML is most valuable to learn as it can be used in conjunction with at least one another language - Java - and there's probably several other ones out there that I haven't encountered yet..

Many thanks once again for your input.

Stuart

I am using Windows XP home SP3, Apache 2.2.9, MySQL 5.0.67,PHP 5.2.6 & Mozilla Firefox
February 21, 2010 09:02PM
In the "slim and small" category, we have these in French for XHTML and CSS:
[www.amazon.fr]
[www.amazon.fr]

They are great when you already know these languages and just need a reminder of the precise syntax.

Josee
Local server: MAMP version 1.8.4
PHP Version 5.2.11
MySQL version: 5.1.37 Source distribution
phpMyAdmin - 2.11.9.5 & phpMyAdmin 3.2.0.1
Apache 2.0.63
Workstation OS: Apple 10.6.2 on Intel Mac