Home > Newsletter, Blog, and Other Topics > Topic

Lithium framework?

Posted by jamesDM 
This forum is now read only. You can not log in or make any changes. Please use the new forum linked above.
As of March 14, 2011, this forum has been replaced and is permanently set to read-only mode. This means you can view any existing post but cannot open new posts or reply to existing ones. The new forum is located athttp://www.larryullman.com/forums/If you need to post a message, you'll need to register there. If you have to post in order to follow up on a thread started here, well, that's going to be a bit of a pain. I would recommend just posting the appropriate information, or copying the original text from here, or linking to your thread here. I apologize for the inconvenience but this purge will make for better forums in the long run. Thanks.
Lithium framework?
March 19, 2010 01:40PM
Hi Larry

I'm looking around to choose my first framework. I've had a look at your Yii tuts to help me better understand how they work - thanks! I've also stumbled upon Lithium, a new framework still in development from a forking of the Cake team. I get the impression there's a new framework every 5 minutes, so maybe Lithium is nothing special and will fade into the melee?

I saw these slides:

Lithium confoo presentation:- [www.slideshare.net]
Lithium presentation with audio:- [lithify.me]

I wonder if you've heard of Lithium, and if so, what your impressions of it might be... as I'm still pretty green to all this? I'm in no hurry to jump on the latest thing, but what ever I do end up jumping on, I'd like it to last me well (I guess that's what everyone wishes for though, right?).
Re: Lithium framework?
March 19, 2010 02:02PM
Yes, it certainly seems like a new framework comes up every 5 minutes and as much as I'm pleased with Yii, I'm not of the opinion that Yii is the one true framework and everyone should use it.

So the fact that Lithium comes from an established framework, CakePHP, is a good thing (just like Yii was created by the guy that created Prado). However, the fact that a search in Google doesn't readily turn up the Lithium Web site, is a bad thing. I did look at the Web site a little bit and I looked at the first 30 pages of that slideshow. It worries me whenever anyone or anything is trying to be different, which seems to be largely what Lithium is about. I've seen plenty of other frameworks whose Web sites, documentation, etc. would make me think the framework was worth pursuing. Lithium does not fall into that category. I am unimpressed with what I saw.

But that's just my opinion on this. Most frameworks have introductory tutorials. If you can follow that and get a decent sense of a framework in 30 minutes, it may be worth going further. You can try that with Lithium if you're curious to see if it might suit you.

Best Wishes,
Larry

Writer/Web Developer/Instructor
Forum Moderator