Home > Newsletter, Blog, and Other Topics > Topic

Digital copies of books

Posted by robtheailean 
This forum is now read only. You can not log in or make any changes. Please use the new forum linked above.
As of March 14, 2011, this forum has been replaced and is permanently set to read-only mode. This means you can view any existing post but cannot open new posts or reply to existing ones. The new forum is located athttp://www.larryullman.com/forums/If you need to post a message, you'll need to register there. If you have to post in order to follow up on a thread started here, well, that's going to be a bit of a pain. I would recommend just posting the appropriate information, or copying the original text from here, or linking to your thread here. I apologize for the inconvenience but this purge will make for better forums in the long run. Thanks.
Digital copies of books
August 15, 2010 11:58PM
Sorry if this has been asked before;
But what is the major obstacle to co-publishing printed and digital versions?

I ask as a victim of many years of paying outrageous sums for postage from Amazon et al to get up to date editions in Australia.

(The major reason is a deal struck in the 50's by the major publishing houses, that put Australia in the British "sphere of influence" and meant no book could be published in Australia from the US, until it had been piublished in the UK).

Digital editions have been a big equaliser in that situation, but they are still in the minority, when it comes to technical publications.

While I have always been aware of having to have your PC with you to read a digital book - (ashamed as I am to say :) ) I bought an iPad (may the Gods of Windows forgive me...) and for me, digital editions are now my preferred way to read (especially if you, as a first step, get Stanza).
Re: Digital copies of books
August 16, 2010 01:04AM
Thanks for your question. It's a good one, but one that I can't really answer. I have surprisingly little to do with the publishing process, although my publisher would answer any question I ask of them. All I do know is:
- Electronic publishing is still very new and a relatively small percentage of the market.
- There are different costs associated with electronic publishing (you don't have to manufacture and ship a book, but you still need to pay for the conversion to the e-format).

I know my publisher is keenly aware of this burgeoning market and publishes some of my books in electronic formats, but I believe they're picking and choosing which books they do this for, not automatically doing it for all of them. My suspicion would be, in a case such as Australia, they'd make comparable money selling the e-version as they would the printed, because overseas, only a fraction of the book's cost goes to the original publisher.

That's about the best I know or would think to know on this. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

Best Wishes,
Larry

Writer/Web Developer/Instructor
Forum Moderator