Home > Newsletter, Blog, and Other Topics > Topic

Seeking advice on client side languages

Posted by clkdg 
This forum is now read only. You can not log in or make any changes. Please use the new forum linked above.
As of March 14, 2011, this forum has been replaced and is permanently set to read-only mode. This means you can view any existing post but cannot open new posts or reply to existing ones. The new forum is located athttp://www.larryullman.com/forums/If you need to post a message, you'll need to register there. If you have to post in order to follow up on a thread started here, well, that's going to be a bit of a pain. I would recommend just posting the appropriate information, or copying the original text from here, or linking to your thread here. I apologize for the inconvenience but this purge will make for better forums in the long run. Thanks.
Seeking advice on client side languages
December 15, 2010 01:46AM
Larry, I hope this is the correct forum to ask this question. I've looked at most of the post trying to figure out the one or two technologies on the browser side I need to learn in conjunction to PHP on the servers side.

Given - hobby only, no plans for a commercial site. I'm using a host provider (one of the top 10) that uses CSS templates and I chose that so I could not have to build the all the html. I choose PHP over ROR because it appeared I could find more examples and code snippets to try. I then went looking to beginner php books and selected yours which has been really good for me, i like the format of your books and forum support.

I'm an old assembler programmer so even though I understand oop, procedural is more natural to me. Eventually I want to get into a PHP framework to pick and choose some features to use when I have some more time, and it appears Yii or PEAR would be the ones to choose from. Interested in better (little fancier) email or newsletters to distribute

My Host provider is of little help and you are on your own and they do have a few PECL frameworks so I would have to load anything in my own area to use. They may have some PEAR but not the QuickForm.

I don't think I will load a local server and al that as I know nothing about all and want to spent my time learning php. I know ORACLE database SQL so the MySQL isn't too big of a deal to understand.

My provider has Blog, FORUM widgets but doubt I will use them, I am using guestbook widget and CGI FormTool which I am exporting and importing to the database until I write my own form and php script.

I'm still learning php but have written several scripts to correct the form data as I have limited control using their form builder, have the mail function working and your Paginating Query page with changing row colors, really neat.

I have to have a project to learn new technologies and this project for our old high school is it. I want to continue learning and building some neat things like a memorial page with thumbnails and senior pictures, pushing out email on demand. HTML email (how and what to use, don't know) allow classmates to upload pictures, maybe video clips from our big all class reunion next year. Possibly a forum for classmates to post to.

Collecting contact information now and next tasks is to replace the provided form page with my own FORM and php code to insert and allow users to log in and keep current. Your books have provided me enough to get that part done.

With this (TMI) background and looking at all the posts about AJAX, JQuery, JavaScripts FLEX, etc, my basic question is what would be a good choice to learn to do the things I want to do on the browser side, like editing form data, I will be depending on your beginner books to start with. I don’t think you have a JQuery book yet, but if that is the recommendation I would go with that. Hope I haven't rambled too much. But would certainly like our opinion. As I don't mind spending some time to work through it to learn but I don't want to learn a new technology and find it won't do the things I need to do. At my age I don't buy green bananas. .

Don Greenfield
Re: Seeking advice on client side languages
December 15, 2010 03:00PM
clkdg
Larry, I hope this is the correct forum to ask this question. I've looked at most of the post trying to figure out the one or two technologies on the browser side I need to learn in conjunction to PHP on the servers side.

This is fine.

clkdg
Given - hobby only, no plans for a commercial site. I'm using a host provider (one of the top 10) that uses CSS templates and I chose that so I could not have to build the all the html. I choose PHP over ROR because it appeared I could find more examples and code snippets to try. I then went looking to beginner php books and selected yours which has been really good for me, i like the format of your books and forum support.

Thanks for the nice words. I'm a big fan of RoR, too, by the way, but keep in mind that RoR is a framework that uses Ruby. You still need to know Ruby in order to really use it.

clkdg
I'm an old assembler programmer so even though I understand oop, procedural is more natural to me. Eventually I want to get into a PHP framework to pick and choose some features to use when I have some more time, and it appears Yii or PEAR would be the ones to choose from. Interested in better (little fancier) email or newsletters to distribute

PEAR isn't a complete framework, really. It's a bunch of pieces used for specific purposes. You could, in theory, use multiple pieces of PEAR to create a site, but it's not as cohesive as a true framework like Yii.

clkdg
My Host provider is of little help and you are on your own and they do have a few PECL frameworks so I would have to load anything in my own area to use. They may have some PEAR but not the QuickForm.

Yeah, programming support is not normal with any hosting company.

clkdg
I don't think I will load a local server and al that as I know nothing about all and want to spent my time learning php.

Understandable, but it takes practically no effort to install and use something like MAMP or XAMPP on your own computer.

clkdg
With this (TMI) background and looking at all the posts about AJAX, JQuery, JavaScripts FLEX, etc, my basic question is what would be a good choice to learn to do the things I want to do on the browser side, like editing form data, I will be depending on your beginner books to start with. I don’t think you have a JQuery book yet, but if that is the recommendation I would go with that. Hope I haven't rambled too much. But would certainly like our opinion. As I don't mind spending some time to work through it to learn but I don't want to learn a new technology and find it won't do the things I need to do. At my age I don't buy green bananas. .

I find that jQuery is the easiest, most reliable solution for many client-side things. I'm a big fan of Flex, but Flex/Flash is really better for larger, more complicated tasks, whereas JavaScript can easily be used for simple tasks. No, I haven't written a jQuery book. I've done a series of posts on it on my blog, though. I'm also hoping to self-publish a JavaScript book in 2011, but that might be a green banana to you now!

Best Wishes,
Larry

Writer/Web Developer/Instructor
Forum Moderator
December 15, 2010 03:35PM
Thanks, I'll go back and read all your info on JQuery and look for other sources to learn what I need to know.

Follow up question , If I use the Yii framework can you still pick and choose what you want to use like the PEAR modules ,as I think that would be what I woudl want to do.

Use something like PEAR QuickForm, and a enhanced email funtions, etc not to develop an entire website using a framework. But if Yii had that plus other things I may want in the futrue, then I want to spend the time learnign Yii on the front end. I'll go back and see your posts on Yii to look for sources to lean from.

Appreciate the feedback.
December 15, 2010 04:40PM
One of the nice features of Yii is that it's easy to integrate third-party stuff like PEAR or Zend Framework modules. I would use Yii's form tools, but, for example, I commonly use Zend's HTML Email package within Yii sites.

Best Wishes,
Larry

Writer/Web Developer/Instructor
Forum Moderator