Home > Newsletter, Blog, and Other Topics > Topic

JQuery and Frameworks on a Shared Hosting Website

Posted by clkdg 
This forum is now read only. You can not log in or make any changes. Please use the new forum linked above.
As of March 14, 2011, this forum has been replaced and is permanently set to read-only mode. This means you can view any existing post but cannot open new posts or reply to existing ones. The new forum is located athttp://www.larryullman.com/forums/If you need to post a message, you'll need to register there. If you have to post in order to follow up on a thread started here, well, that's going to be a bit of a pain. I would recommend just posting the appropriate information, or copying the original text from here, or linking to your thread here. I apologize for the inconvenience but this purge will make for better forums in the long run. Thanks.
JQuery and Frameworks on a Shared Hosting Website
January 03, 2011 04:07PM
I'm using a hosting service in a shared environment. they are telling me I can only use a framework like PEAR or Yii that can be uploaded to my cgi-bin folder and it can't be compiled or installed that would alter the environment. Not sure what that means?

They are saying if I can upload it and then just include it in my php script I can use it, I think that is what they are telling me.

Two Questions:

1). How can I tell what frameworks are available to me that I can use as I don't understand what to look for?

2). Hosting service tells me that AJAX is not an option but I can use JQuery. Can JQuery communicate with PHP without using AJAX ? Without a lot of extra, difficult programming? I'm looking for something on the html side I can use to edit sine of the FORM data before it is submitted to the PHP script.

Thanks

Don Greenfield
Re: JQuery and Frameworks on a Shared Hosting Website
January 03, 2011 05:55PM
clkdg
I'm using a hosting service in a shared environment. they are telling me I can only use a framework like PEAR or Yii that can be uploaded to my cgi-bin folder and it can't be compiled or installed that would alter the environment. Not sure what that means?

I'd be inclined to actually ask them what this means but I don't think it's the problem that you might think it is.

clkdg
1). How can I tell what frameworks are available to me that I can use as I don't understand what to look for?

I don't think this greatly limits what framework you use. What you would look for is that you need to avoid anything that needs to be installed/built-into the server. Any framework that just requires uploading files is fine.

clkdg
2). Hosting service tells me that AJAX is not an option but I can use JQuery. Can JQuery communicate with PHP without using AJAX ? Without a lot of extra, difficult programming? I'm looking for something on the html side I can use to edit sine of the FORM data before it is submitted to the PHP script.

I have no idea what that means about Ajax not being an option. jQuery cannot communicate with PHP without using Ajax. jQuery is client-side JavaScript. I would be stunned if you couldn't use jQuery to perform Ajax requests on your server.

I think of jQuery as pretty easy to use, however it requires understanding of JavaScript and DOM. If you don't have those down, it's going to be a challenge for you.

Best Wishes,
Larry

Writer/Web Developer/Instructor
Forum Moderator
January 05, 2011 11:07PM
Larry
think of jQuery as pretty easy to use, however it requires understanding of JavaScript and DOM. If you don't have those down, it's going to be a challenge for you.

In another of my posts, you said you had not written a book on JavaScript. So do you a book recommendation of one that would cover what you would need to know for JQuey given you only had a basic knowledge of htlm ? Thanks and hope I used the forum quotes correctly.
January 06, 2011 02:50AM
Yes, I have not written a book on JavaScript...yet. I'm planning on self-publishing one and will start working on it in a couple of weeks. I'll be posting updates about it in my newsletter. I have written a series on jQuery on my site, which might be helpful to you.

As for other books, "jQuery in Action" is pretty good. Keep in mind that what you're talking about is a good couple of steps past basic HTML. jQuery is a framework for doing JavaScript stuff. You still need a basic understanding of JavaScript to use it.

Best Wishes,
Larry

Forum Moderator
January 06, 2011 03:38AM
Larry
As for other books, "jQuery in Action" is pretty good. Keep in mind that what you're talking about is a good couple of steps past basic HTML. jQuery is a framework for doing JavaScript stuff. You still need a basic understanding of JavaScript to use it.

I have the jQuery in Action on loan from my son, so what JavaScripts books would you suggest to begin with ?
Thanks and I'm keeping up with your newsletters..

Don Greenfield
January 07, 2011 01:55PM
I've only read a couple of JavaScript books, and neither is great for learning as a beginner. I hear that "The Missing Manual" JavaScript book is good, though.

Best Wishes,
Larry

Forum Moderator
January 08, 2011 12:22AM
OK, thanks, I'll follow up. Don