Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Anybody Had Carpal Tunnel?

Guest Deleted

Guest Deleted

Doc thinks I have this and says I'll probably need surgery =\ He wants me to get a nerve test to confirm the diagnosis. He says the test is painful. Lovely.

Has anybody here had to deal with carpal tunnel or something similar? How did it turn out for you? I'd really like to hear some success stories right now. I'm kind of bummed out over having what could be a career altering problem =\

Guest Deleted

I'm feeling better. Instead of just jumping into surgery (like my doc wanted me to) I did some research and found out about alternative therapies that might help. I ended up having a chiropractor adjust several of my joints back into their proper alignment. When he did my neck, it was instant relief. The tingling and most of the pain decreased down to almost nothing and that's how they have stayed. It appears my misaligned neck bones were pinching nerves. (Wondering why that would affect my wrists? Look up double crush syndrome.)

The soreness in the other parts of my hands is still there but it was never bad and unlike the carpal tunnel this actually has been responding to rest. Both the doc and the chiro thought this particular soreness is just mild tendonitis. So, resting is what i'm doing a lot of. Speaking of that, I've spent a lot of my convalescence reading your PHP Advanced book, Larry. Thanks for providing something good for me to read! :) I've been wanting to really dive into that book but I kept telling myself "I don't have time" because I was always on the computer. I think I was slightly addicted to it. Well, now I have time, lol.

Guest Deleted

Hartley: Thanks.

Larry: Honestly, I find learning rather relaxing. It's a big source of positive feelings for me. I like it. There are certain areas that I want to be really knowledgeable in and the more I learn, the better I feel. PHP is a great example of this. Some subjects, like PHP, I have been studying (and doing) for years and it can be rather satisfying when I get to see the comprehension pay off. When I first started, ages ago, I struggled to understand the simplest of references. Now I'm going through an advanced PHP book and having no trouble. It feels awesome! 

Of course, I have to give credit to whom credit is due and acknowledge that, yes, you explain things more clearly than most authors, but still, if I tried to read this even two years ago I would have had a much harder time with it. For instance, I'm moving quickly through the OOP chapters but that's because last year I gave a lot of sweat, blood and tears. That's when I decided to cut my baby teeth on OO PHP (and MVC) and man was it hard! I had to read out of three books, do multiple tutorials, ask people questions and watch many Youtube videos. It took two months but I finally got the basics.

So now I'm going through the OO PHP chapters in your advanced book and it just feels really good to be understanding so much. Some of it is review and I breezed right through that, some of it clarified concepts I wasn't completely sure of, and some of it is pretty much new (like namespaces and design patterns, I never understood those at all). The latter is the most challenging but I am enjoying working through it.

Another reason I'm gung-ho to read this book is because my hands have been hurting for two months and my coding has been very limited. I'm chomping at the bit to get back into it full swing. I can't but at least I can read about PHP and try an example now and then. :)

I don't mean to sound like a total PHP nerd, though. I do other things besides PHP, lol. I like to eat, listen to music, watch videos, and go for walks. I read other books sometimes too. They are almost all educational though, lol. That's about all I have because it's about all I like to read. I guess I am a nerd as far as learning is concerned, lol.