Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Design/Development Question

MrJames

Hi,

I have been looking at profiles on Behance, some of which are what I would call 'pitches' (individuals putting their ideas/designs forward for how they would design/development popular websites), some of these designs are art/artistic, some are UI/UX. But one thing I have noticed is that all the images/pictures showcasing their work all look 'Clean, Crisp and really sharp'.

Now when I develop a website on a PC it never looks as sharp as what some of these individuals are showcasing, So are they using MAC's with Retina displays which makes them look so nice, or is this web development done in Photoshop, below is an example of what I mean

http://www.behance.net/gallery/E-mail-client/8626803

So what do you think ?

That's an actual page (I'm assuming), and the only things used to make it look like that are HTML and CSS.

Certainly, the design is nice, and it takes many years of experience along with a very creative mind to be able to do all that.

If you use a framework/library like WordPress or Twitter Bootstrap, they can help you more easily create nice-looking sites, but again, at the end of the day, it's pure HTML, CSS and a whole lot of creativity and a great sense of design.

My question was like:

1) Are these graphical elements created in Photoshop which is why they look so perfect ?

2) Are they also pictured through use of a MAC with retina displays rather than a PC ?

regards

Guest Deleted

Oh. They probably used a template or just have really good design skills. I don't think the display has anything to do with it. And not everything created in Photoshop looks perfect. I've seen some pretty awful art done by people who didn't know what they were doing. A tool is only as good as the person using it. Heck, I've been using Photoshop for 12 years and my art is just so-so.

I would assume that the little icons and the circular people images were done in Photoshop, et al. Beyond that, I think everything else is straight HTML/CSS.

And even though the icons were done in Photoshop, that doesn't mean that that designer did them. Those types of graphical icons are a dime-a-dozen these days, and can be purchased cheaply or gotten for free.

Guest Deleted

Sadly that is true. I know a website where lots of artists go to sell icons. I've seen icons with art so good that it blew me away and a lot of time you can get it customized to suit your preferences. Guess how much most of them sell for? $1, if that. Most people can't even sell their icons for real money, they have to accept in-game currency (these artists are part of a game community) That's sad but the competition is really that bad. Unless you're one of the top 5 best artists on that site, you aren't going to get much for your work. Heck last I heard not even the top artists made that much. They might get $30 for a 100% custom commission. That's $30 for something that takes 5 hours or so to make. Not so good.