Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Stripe Test Script Problem

I am working through Larry's Stripe tutorial and have run into what seems like a simple issue, but is giving me fits. The problem is I keep getting a duplicate submission error. I am using the code verbatim from the tutorial download with just the addition of my added diagnostic conditionals. The conditional comparing the $_SESSION['token'] == $token always returns true even when it shouldn't. Here is the output from my conditionals:

token = tok_102hNa23Z1ryxpC0EVh3z6aL
SESSION[token] before comparing = tok_102hNU23Z1ryxpC0Vw4f922T
SESSION[token] after comparing = tok_102hNa23Z1ryxpC0EVh3z6aL

Here is the relevant code snippet:

// Check for a form submission:
if ($_SERVER['REQUEST_METHOD'] == 'POST') {

//Just for developmental diagnostic purposes
	if(isset($_POST['stripeToken'])):
		echo 'token = ' . $_POST['stripeToken'];
	endif;

if(isset($_SESSION['token'])):
		echo '<br />SESSION[token] before comparing = ' . $_SESSION['token'];
	endif;	

// Stores errors:
	$errors = array();

// Need a payment token:
	if (isset($_POST['stripeToken'])) {

$token = $_POST['stripeToken'];

// Check for a duplicate submission, just in case:
		// Uses sessions, you could use a cookie instead.
		if (isset($_SESSION['token']) && ($_SESSION['token'] == $token)) {
			$errors['token'] = 'You have apparently resubmitted the form. Please do not do that.';
		} else { // New submission.
			$_SESSION['token'] = $token;
		}		

} else {
		$errors['token'] = 'The order cannot be processed. Please make sure you have JavaScript enabled and try again.';
	}

if(isset($_SESSION['token'])):
		echo '<br />SESSION[token] after comparing = ' . $_SESSION['token'];
	endif;

I must be overlooking something very simple. I don't see where anybody else has had a problem with this code. Thanks for looking at it.

Well, after struggling with this issue far too long, I commented out the lines of code giving me the duplicate submission:

// Check for a duplicate submission, just in case:
		// Uses sessions, you could use a cookie instead.
		if (isset($_SESSION['token']) && ($_SESSION['token'] == $token)) {
			$errors['token'] = 'You have apparently resubmitted the form. Please do not do that.';
		} else { // New submission.
			$_SESSION['token'] = $token;
		}	

My thinking on this decision is that this script relies on javascript entirely to process the payment. With that in mind there isn't an easy progressive enhancement technique that is going to be worth my time to figure out. Javascript disables the submit button immediately after the user clicks it anyway, so a dual submission seems impossible. As the tutorial is written, if the user has javascript disabled a dual submission is not possible...either is a single submission. It still bugs me that I could not get those simple lines of code to work as expected though. I gained a lot of Stripe knowledge the last few days. My cart system is coming along awesome. Great tutorial Larry, thanks.  

• 9 months later...

i have downloaded the source code from http://www.larryullman.com/downloads/Stripe-Larry-Ullman.zip.

and after extract i have set private and public key properly. furthermore, i have downloaded stripe lib and include that in test script.

BUT i am getting the following error:

The order cannot be processed. Please make sure you have JavaScript enabled and try again.

i am looking forward for a quick reply or any sample code which works accurately.

What debugging steps have you tried and what were the results? Keep in mind that to use my code, you must be competent with PHP. That code is just the fundamental concept; you'll need to modify it to work for your situation.