Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Table Prefixes

I was just wondering does anyone like to use table prefixes and why?

Most of Larry's book don't have them sorry Larry but i didn't see them. I have a website with increasing database tables and would like to start using abbreviations now if are necessary.

I would appreciate any answers to this question.

Hey Edward. Could you explain what you mean by "table abbreviations"? Just want to make sure we're talking about the same thing before I answer.

Also could you send me an email? I have something for you (if you want). Thanks!

Btw i don't know your email, i recently changed my email to a more personal email. I updated my email on this forum if you can email it.

I did send you two messages one with the incorrect email the second with the correct email. I would appreciate it if you don't print my email on these forum threads if you have to confirm it you can check my email in your user database.

Hello Edward. I'll reply to your email in a bit. Thanks for sending that. I'm not using it anywhere here, just sending you a direct email.

As for the table prefixes, I've never particularly used them, but I understand their appeal, especially on larger projects or when using multiple components (e.g., a forum, a shopping cart, etc.). So, in that case, I might be inclined to do wp_, ipb_, and so forth. I don't quite get the point of using tbl_ as a prefix (awfully redundant), but I know it's a common thing to do.

That was what i was thinking using them to help separate database tables, the good thing about Yii is we can later just change the table name that the model links to. I guess i can leave that for later on. Thanks i appreciate your reply.