Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Prevent Duplicate Values In Intermediary Table

Hello everyone,

please be so kind and help me with the following query.

I have an intermediary Hotels_features table into which I'm inserting some values. How can I prevent the insertion of duplicate values? I can't have the same features_id be associated with the same hotel_id multiple times.

I think one can use "on duplicate key update" but I'm not sure how to integrate this with the INSERT INTO query.

An example query:

INSERT INTO `Hotels_features` (`hotel_id`, `features_id`) VALUES ( 2,7), (2, 2), (2, 4)

Thank you very much!

You can prevent duplicate keys by making the combination of hotel_id and features_id the primary key or just a unique index.

Not sure what you'd want to do on duplicate key, though. That's used to change one of the values attempting to be inserted, which I wouldn't think you'd want to do here. 

Hi Larry and HartleySan,

thank you for your help. I've made the combination of hotel_id and features_id the primary key.

Wagtail, given your DB design, duplicate values should never be assigned to the table to begin with.

No, I am trying to prevent duplicate values being inserted into the table.

What I have done is create checkboxes for all of the features. If 'le grand hotel' has 5 features, then those 5 checkboxes will already be checked. If I now check 2 more checkboxes, I'll have 7 checkboxes checked, but only 2 checkbox values must be inserted into the table (the other 5 checkbox values are already present in the intermediary table).

What would be nice is if the query could also delete those rows when the associated checkboxes are "unchecked".

Does this make sense?

Thanks!

HartleySan, thank you for the link.

The query is working well now - no duplicate values are being inserted into the table. Now I'm trying to delete certain rows but no luck so far.

$Q = "DELETE FROM Hotels_features WHERE features_id = 3 AND hotel_id = 1";

Nothing seems to happen, although the query does work in PHPmyAdmin.  Must I first run a SELECT query?

Hope you are well.

Thank you!

The DELETE query doesn't work because I have a second query that INSERTS values into the same table. If I remove the latter query, then the former query will work.

In my code I first check if ($_SERVER['REQUEST_METHOD'] == 'POST'), then I have the code for the DELETE query, followed by the code for the INSERT query.

Do you think that this should work? I'm trying to figure this out.

Thank you.