Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Hello,

I just finished this book (also PHP for the web before this) and I'm wondering which book should I get next. I want to continue learning these technologies.

Should I get "Effortless E-Commerce with PHP and MYSQL" or "PHP Advanced and OOP Programming" ?

Many thanks to Mr. Larry Ullman for writing such good books.

I think it depends on where you want to go with your learning.

If you want a more well-rounded view of the web and making sites, I recommend the JavaScript book. If you want an e-commerce site and want to better understand web security, then I recommend the e-commerce book. And if you want to just be really good at PHP, I recommend the advanced book.

Really, they're all worth reading, but I would recommend the JavaScript book first. Also, the Yii book is pretty good, if you want to learn a framework.

Hey! Thanks for replying. I was thinking about getting the javascript book too(at the time), but wanted to know more about PHP and MySQL. The reason I asked is because it's not apparent which of the two books (i.e. ecommerce or advanced php and OOP) is more advanced. Does the e-commerce book use the things taught in the Advanced PHP and OOP book?

PS: I got the javascript book.

There is overlap between the advanced book and the e-commerce book, but I think the e-commerce book focuses more on online payments, security and advanced MySQL queries, whereas the advanced book focuses more on OOP and advanced stuff in PHP.

I personally think that the e-commerce book is more practical, but again, they're all worth reading and good to know about if you're serious about web development.

• 1 month later...

I too have enjoyed your book.  Look forward to moving on after completeing all the exercises in this book.  I like your "throw you to the wolves" approach.  I spend quite a bit of time debugging my files; which allows me to better understand the code.

I have one minor critique; you stated in the begginning of the book that white space generally doesn't matter.  I took it to heart :-}  I was pulling out my hair with Script 10.4 and carried over to 10.5.  I couldn't get the edit, delete and next function to work.  Everything else worked fine.  The issue turned out to be a space after the file reference (...php?s =).  I won't make that mistake again. :)

Thanks

Bruce

Thanks for your feedback and for the nice words. I'll keep this in mind when I go to do the next edition.

Also, to be clear, in this case, it's the whitespace in the URL that's the issue (which isn't technically a problem for PHP).