• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Wilkison

Steve Wilkison

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 5:21 PM

I have a client who needs to move their website to another host. They have a forum using vBulletin software. It's been active for many years and is very large.

I'm trying to export the mysql from the database so that I can rebuild the database on the new servers, but whenever I try to export it I just get an empty, blank document. I suspect, but I'm not really sure, that maybe it's so big the current settings won't allow enough time to complete the export. Does this sound possible? If so, how would I fix this? If not, what other things could be causing this.

The phpMyAdmin interface says version 2.8.2.4 and the MySQL says version 5.0.45.

Bottom line, I need to get the database exported, so any suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks much for any help.

#2 Jonathon

Jonathon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 5:40 PM

As an alternative, what happens if you back up the full website and then save the tar / zip and see if when you unzip it it has all the sql back ups? I know some hosts will try and get in touch with other companies when transferring things over, might cost a small fee, but probably worth it if there's that much data.

Best of luck though

#3 rob

rob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 3:28 AM

What happens if you try to export one table?

Personally, I would use the MySQL command line tool via SSH.

#4 Larry

Larry

Administrator/Writer

• Administrators
  • 3,908 posts
  • LocationState College, PA (USA)

Posted 28 November 2011 - 8:07 AM

Yeah, phpMyAdmin is great, but there's a reasonable limit to how large of a database can be exported or imported. I would also use the command line tools.

#5 Steve Wilkison

Steve Wilkison

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 4 March 2012 - 9:29 AM

Thanks for the help guys. It's taken me awhile to get back to this issue (too much other stuff going on), but I took your suggestion and figured out how to SSH in to the account and export the database. It took me a little while to figure all that out, I've never done it before, but it appears to be working just fine. So, thanks again.