26 replies to this topic

#21 Larry

Larry

Administrator/Writer

• Administrators
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationState College, PA (USA)

Posted 8 August 2012 - 7:35 PM

Hello TomTom. Welcome. My first piece advice you probably already know: you'll be much better off not jumping around a lot. But, different people learn in different ways. Good luck with it and let us know when you have questions.

#22 TomTom

TomTom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 3:43 AM

Thanks very much!
A question on a different topic; I believe Zend Framework is available on the IBM AS400/iSeries and based on some of your recent comments, I believe this is similar to Yii... but, can you tell me where I can find how this, Frameworks, differs from Templates like Smarty?

#23 Larry

Larry

Administrator/Writer

• Administrators
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 8:18 AM

Well, Zend Framework runs pretty much anywhere that PHP does and is only similar to Yii in that both are frameworks. Within the field of frameworks, they are different in some ways.

A template like Smarty is only used to create the final (HTML) output. In other words, you can use Smarty to separate the HTML from the PHP code to make both easier to work with.

A framework goes far beyond that, defining ways to create the entire Web application. This includes database connections, error logging, handling of user actions, and so forth.

#24 TomTom

TomTom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 3:30 AM

Ah, thanks very much! Clears a little up. I started with your book "PHP 6 and MySQL5" and followed that with "PHP 5 Advanced", "Effortless E-Commerce", and "Building a Web Site with Ajax". All excellent! I find I always have lots of questions though (not as a result of some shortcoming in the books though) - reading the Ajax book, I realized I know very little about DOM and that Javascript has grown dramatically since I was first introduced to it years ago. So, I've been delving back into those topics. I was scanning "Effortless" and ran across tinyMCE... more questions (I've posted one under that topic.) So, Yii, Zend Framework, and CakePHP are supposed to make it easier for me/us to create a custom web site... different from a CMS like Zen Cart, using something called a "Model, View, Controller" (MVC) paradigm (sp)? But, to use these MVC products, would you say that one still has to have a solid understanding of HTML/CSS/Javascript/PHP/MySQL? Or can the presentation layer, HTML & CSS, be handled by a designer while the rest by a programmer?
Thanks very much for your time, insight, and enlightenment!

#25 Larry

Larry

Administrator/Writer

• Administrators
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 8:18 AM

Yes, frameworks like Yii, Zend, and CakePHP help you create entire Web sites. Some use MVC, some don't.

Zen Cart is a shopping cart framework (kind of), not a CMS.

The designer can provide the HTML and CSS and the programmer can do the rest.

#26 TomTom

TomTom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 1 September 2012 - 6:19 AM

Thanks. So... tell me about "apps" and "mobile computing". Where do these fit in? Are most of these mobile "apps" just web applications written for mobile devices?

#27 Larry

Larry

Administrator/Writer

• Administrators
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 3 September 2012 - 9:40 AM

Okay, "apps" in mobile devices normally refers to native applications. This means an actual program normally written in Objective-C for iOS (Apple) devices and in Java for Android devices.

Alternatively, you can create mobile Web sites. These can either be separate (from standard desktop sites) that are oriented for mobile devices or they can be one Web site that is "responsive": adjusting itself for mobile devices.

Mobile apps can do some things that Web sites cannot, such as use the device's camera. Mobile apps also have much better processing power (e.g., for games). But the push these days is towards creating mobile responsive sites, not apps.