Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Deploying A Release Version On Ubuntu Linux Server

DuPreez

I developed on my Windows XP machine with a Wamp server and developed in Flash Builder 4. While I was developing and using data services - when prompted by Flash Builder I let it install the Zend Framework. Now I need to deploy a Flex 4 web application developed in Flash Builder 4 on an Ubuntu Linux production server which has MySQL and php already installed.

Am I supposed to install Zend on the Linux server?

The Adobe Help documentation is confusing...

According to: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/flashbuilder/using/WSe4e4b720da9dedb5-13a250c812e8e9b5533-7ff9.html :

"(PHP server projects only) For PHP projects, perform these additional steps:

Install the Zend framework on the server. See Installing Zend Framework. ".

However, according to http://help.adobe.com/en_US/flex/accessingdata/WSbde04e3d3e6474c45b672e6c12574edcc5e-8000.html :

For productions servers, Adobe recommends that you move the ZendFramework folder outside the web root. Update the zend_path variable defined in amf_config.ini.

If the zend_path variable is commented out, uncomment the zend_path variable. Specify the location of your Zend Framework installation.

If Flash Builder installed the Zend Framework, check the following:

• The location of the web root folder
    Flash Builder installs the Zend Framework in the project’s web root folder. Check the location of the web root folder. Select Project > Properties> Flex Server.

• Ensure that the web server is configured to use PHP.

• Examine the zend_path variable in amf_config.ini.
    amf_config.ini is in the project output folder.

Thanks for the help!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in getting to this. Yes, this can be tricky, but you do need to install ZF on the production server. Then you'll want to copy the gateway.php and other scripts and directories (that act as services) from your dev server to the production server. Then edit gateway.php to point to the ZF install.

Let me know if you have any more questions or problems with this.